You can use the remote replication feature to copy the recording data of the local VioStor to a remote QNAP network attached storage (NAS) in the local network. The remote QNAP NAS is hereafter referred to as "the remote storage device".
- Remote Replication is limited to the local network.
- Before using this function, please make sure the Microsoft networking service of the remote storage device is enabled, and the corresponding path and user access right have been correctly configured.
Login VioStor and enter "System Tools" > "Remote Replication".
Configure the backup data, remote backup server settings, and backup schedule of the remote storage device in sequential order.
Enable remote replication (support multiple choices)
In the above example, the system only copies the alarm recording data of the latest 3 days to the remote storage device.
- Check the box "Enable remote replication" to activate this feature. The system executes automatic backup of recording data to the remote storage device according to the settings.
- When you select "Back up alarm recordings only (instead of all recordings)", the system will only copy alarm recording data to the remote storage device. If this option is unchecked, the system will backup all recording data to the remote storage device.
- When you select "Back up the recordings of the latest…day(s) only" and enter the number of days, the system will back up the latest recording data to the remote storage device automatically according to your settings. If this option is unchecked, the system will copy all recording data to the remote storage device.
Configure your remote storage server
Note: It is recommended to execute the "Remote host testing" function to verify the connection to the remote storage device is successful.
Configure the remote replication schedule
For example, to enable the system to copy recording data automatically to remote storage device at 01:15 every Monday, please do the following:
Check the box "Replication Schedule", select "Weekly", enter 01 Hour: 15 minute, and select "Monday".
Select "Replication Now", the system backs up recording data to remote storage device immediately.
- Select "Overwrite the oldest recordings when the available storage on the remote host is less than 4GB"; the system overwrites the oldest recording data when the free space on the server is less than 4GB.
- Select "Perform mirroring replication by deleting extra files on the remote replication", the system syncs the recording data between VioStor and the remote storage device and delete any extra files on the remote destination.
- When the above options are all checked, the system executes remote replication immediately. It first judges if there are extra files on the remote location that are different from the local source. If yes, the extra files will be removed. After that, the system executes recording data backup and verifies if the free space of the internal hard disk drive is less than 4GB. If the free storage capacity is larger than 4GB, remote replication will be executed immediately. If the free storage space is less than 4GB, the system deletes the recording data of the oldest day and executes remote replication.
- The system displays the latest 10 remote replication records for you to analyze the status and troubleshooting.
In the above example:
1. When the status is shown as "Failed (Remote access error)": You can check the remote storage device is running or the network settings are correct.
2. When the status is shown as "Failed (An internal error occurred)": You can check the hard drive status of VioStor or check the Event Logs.
The time required by VioStor to replicate data to remote storage device varies to the network environment. If the remote replication time is too long, some recording files may be overwritten by the system. To avoid this, it is recommended to refer to the status messages to analyze the time needed for remote replication and adjust the replication schedule accordingly.